Economic Importance of Weeds
Weeds have certain results in agriculture, which might be mostly in the form of different damaging results however someway there are also some really useful effects.
Direct Losses by means of weeds
Weeds motive relief in crop yield through competition for mild, nutrient, water and space. They too can scale back the yield of crop in the course of the release of toxic elements or exudates which inhibit crop expansion. This is named allelopathy. Uncontrolled weed infestation can lead to 95% yield loss in cassava, 40% in maize and 53% in cowpea, soybean and pigeon pea.
Top Posts & Pages
- Vegetables calendar for Pakistan
- Cultivation of red gold (Saffron) in Pakistan
- Agricultural Land Measuring Units in Pakistan
- Rabi Crops, Vegetables, Fruits and Pulses
- Kharif crops, Vegetables, Fruits and Pulses
- Agriculture Officers Asked To Take Action Against Spurious Pesticides, Fertilizers
- Fertilizers and Environmental Pollution
- Papaya Farming Information Guide
- Vertical Farming – Indoor Agriculture
- Weeds can scale back the quality of harvested agricultural merchandise.
- Weeds intrude with harvest operations and build up the cost of harvesting in each small holder and massive scale farms.
four. Weeds would possibly poison animals e.g. Amaranthus spp can adversely affect cattle because of the top nitrate content material of the shoots.
- The cost of controlling weeds is high.
- The presence of weeds can impede water flow in irrigation canals.
- The presence of weeds in lakes and reservoir can building up lack of water via transpiration.
Indirect Losses led to by weeds
- Weeds function change hosts to many plant illnesses and animal pests e.g bugs, rodents, birds and many others that assault crops.
- The presence of weeds imposes a restrict on farm size.
three. The presence of weeds can also scale back the economic worth of lakes by means of fighting or proscribing fishing actions.
four. Weeds similar to Imperata cylindrica grow to be hearth hazards within the dry season during the savanna crops zone.
Non Agricultural Losses
- Weeds impact health of people, stinging nettle can cause skin rashes and the vegetation of some different weeds can be associated with allergic reactions in humans
- Weeds impair visibility along roads and railway lines.
- Uncontrolled weed enlargement reduces the value of actual estates.
- In eventualities the place farmers rely on human labour for weeding, youngsters need to leave out college at peak of weeding periods. This reduces the standard of training that these children can get during their early years.
Beneficial Effects of Weeds
- Weeds supply a vegetative duvet that protects the soil surface in opposition to erosive motion of rain and wind.
- Weeds play an important section in nutrient recycling. Roots of weeds faucet nutrients from the decrease soil depths and go back these to the soil surface as clutter when the weeds shed their leaves or when all of the plant vegetation dies and decays.
three. Weeds add organic matter to the soil each from the roots and from the above flooring portions.
four. Many vegetation which can be designated weeds are used as potherbs e.g Talinum triangulare.
- Weeds are assets of insecticides e.g Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium which gives insecticide pyrethrum.
- Weeds provide meals and cover for animal. Wildlife in most cases will depend on weeds for survival as meals and safe haven.
- Weeds serve as the most important supply of genetic materials for crop improvement akin to breeding for resistance to pests and illnesses which might be made possible through genetic materials supplied via wild species of the crop plants.
- Weeds serve as hosts advisable bugs, and at the similar time provide nectar for bees.
- Many weeds lend a hand to enhance the landscape. e.g a just right flooring duvet of Cynodon dactylon beautifies the house.