The Agriculture sector uninterrupted engages in game of Pakistanis financial system since independence. In the early time, it considered a dominant sector however because of the declining its performance because of the political, social, environmental and local weather stipulations its production yield goes down step by step and now it is the second greatest sector in Pakistan.
It accounting for over 21 % of GDP, 45 percent of total labor force engaged with this sector. Around 63 percent of country population are living in rural spaces is not directly or without delay related with this sector for their livelihood. Agriculture sector have Strong linkage with the rest of the financial system this is ignored in statistics.
While on the Other hand, it’s the primary supplier of raw fabrics to downstream industry, that contributing considerably to Pakistan’s export; it’s the largest marketplace for commercial manufactured goods equivalent to insecticides, fertilizers, tractors and agriculture equipment’s.
Predictor variable contains 5 sub-sectors come with Major, Minor vegetation, livestock’s, fisheries and forestry. Major crops include cotton, rice, wheat and sugarcane and many others. and give a contribution 6.5% solely to the GDP. Cotton is the principle non-food crop this is used as a uncooked material for the textile industry. Pakistan is the fourth biggest producer of cotton.
Rice and Wheat are the most important meals crop out of which rice may be one of the crucial primary export pieces of the rustic. Sugarcane is another important crop grown for sugar and sugar related products. Minor vegetation include oil seeds, greens, pulses, chilies and other small crops. Oil seed plants include cottonseeds, rapeseed/mustard, sunflower and canola and so forth.
Role of Agriculture in Economic Development
Agriculture have great role in economic construction and prosperity. Following are some essential contributions of agriculture as;
- Contribution to National Income
- Source of Food Supply
- Pre-Requisite for Raw Material
- Provision of Surplus
- Shift of Manpower:
- Creation of Infrastructure:
- Relief from Shortage of Capital:
- Helpful to Reduce Inequality
- Based on Democratic Notions
- Create Effective Demand
- Helpful in Phasing out Economic Depression:
- Source of Foreign Exchange for the Country
- Contribution to Capital Formation:
- Employment Opportunities for Rural People:
- Extension of Market for Industrial Output
- Role of Agriculture in GDP of Pakistan
Current GDP of Pakistan is 305 billion. Contribution of main crops in agriculture sector is about to be 25.6 % and contribution of major crops in GDP is sort of 5.four% in keeping with the economic survey of Pakistan. Wheat contributes approximately 10.3% in agriculture. Sugarcane is also a cash crop and food crop.
Agriculture accounts for 18.9 % of GDP and employed bulk of the full paintings power. Agriculture sector recorded a expansion of 3.46 percent in FY 2017 as compared to the expansion of zero.27 percent last 12 months. The vegetation sub sector contains of 37.22 p.c of agriculture sector and is the elemental motive force of enlargement of the agriculture sector as well as GDP.
Problems in Agriculture of Pakistan
Agriculture is the backbone of Pakistan’s economic and going through a cyclones of troubles in Pakistan as;
- Lack of Modern Agriculture invention
- Poor Financial Position of Farmer
- Limited Cultivable Area
- Waterlogging and salinity
- Slow Growth of Allied Product
- Low consistent with Hectare Yield
- Inadequate Infrastructure
- Uneconomic Land holdings
- Old method of Production
- Inadequate provide of Agriculture Inputs
- Lack of irrigation Facilities
- Inadequate Agriculture Research Center
- Problem of Land Reforms
- Defective Land Reforms
- Subsistence Farming
- Low Cropping depth
- Improper Crop Rotation
- Various Plant illnesses and Natural Calamities