Symptom of Damage
- Leaves folded longitudinally and larvae stay inside of.
- Larvae scrape the fairway tissues of the leaves and grow to be white and dry.
- During critical infestation the whole field shows whitish scorched appearance.
Nature of Damage :
The leaves of the plant are observed folded, rolled and continuously webbed together with white patches on them indicating the spaces fed by caterpillar. When such folded leaves are unfolded, larvae can also be seen.
Identification of pest :
Scientific Name – Cnaphalocrocis medinalis
Flat, oval in shape and yellowish white in color.
Greenish translucent, prothoracic defend immediately apically and rounded laterally.
Pupal duration is 7 to 10 days.
Moth is yellow brownish wings with many dark wavy strains in centre and dark band on margin of wings.
- Use resistant varieties.
- Keep the bunds clean by trimming them and take away the grassy weeds.
- Avoid use of over the top nitrogenous fertilizers.
- Avoid use of carbofuran (or) phorate granules to keep watch over resurgence of pests.
- Clipping of the affected leaves.
- Use of rope to dislodge the leaf feeding larvae of leaf folders.
- Open up the leaf folds with the help of a thorny twig.
- ETL : 10% leaf injury at vegetative segment and 5% of flag leaf injury at flowering.
- The population must be estimated on the foundation of cautious and common surveillance.
- When herbal enemies of leaf folders are provide, software of chemical measures can also be delayed or allotted with.
- In the preliminary phases restrict spraying to infested patches only. The box could also be sprayed totally in case the infestation happens uniformly.
Spray any one of the following according to ETLs :
Fenitrothion 50 EC 1000 ml/ha (or) Monocrotophos 36 SL 1000 ml/ha (or) Phosalone 35 EC 1500 ml/ha (or) Quinalphos 25 EC 1000 ml/ha (or) Dichlorvos 76 WSC 250 ml/ha (or) Phosphamidon 40 SL 600 ml/ha (or) Chlorpyriphos 20 EC 1250 ml/ha (or) Carbaryl 50 WP 1.0 kg/ha (or) Fenthion 100 EC 500 ml/ha (or) Profenophos 50 EC 1000 ml/ha.
- Release Trichogramma chilonis (Egg Parasitoids) 3 times on 37, 44 and 51 DAT @ 5 cc(1 lakh egg parasitoids)/ha/free up.
- Release the egg playing cards in box all over morning hours.
- Tie the egg playing cards underneath the leaf surface going through outside.
- Avoid spraying of chemical substances 3 days earlier than and upto seven days after box unlock of egg cards.
Natural enemies and predators:
Natural enemies :
- Itoplectis narangae – Ichnuemonidae Wasp
- Trichomma cnaphalocrocis – Ichnuemonidae Wasp
Release of mirid worm Cytorhinus lividipennis @ 50 – 75 egg/ m2
- Set up gentle traps to draw and kill the moths. Set up gentle lure one for at least five ha.
- Set up fowl perches (40 to 50/ha) of Insectivorous Birds at vegetative segment of crop.
- Monitor through phermone traps (@ 10 to 12/ha for timely regulate measures. Change the trap at 15-20 days periods.